St Agnes of Bohemia and the History of the Knights of the Cross
Charles Bridge Museum (Muzeum Karlova mostu), Křižovnické náměstí 3, Praha 1 - Staré Město, 110 00
The Charles Bridge Museum is going to launch a new exposition devoted to St Agnes of Bohemia, who is the founder and patron of the Knights of the Cross with the Red Star.
The Knights of the Cross with the Red Star has always had a certain place in the Czech history. In 1233, St Agnes founded an infirmary brotherhood, and later from these brothers developed this order. In 1252, the main seat of the order was transferred near the Judita Bridge (a predecessor of Charles Bridge) on the right bank of the river Vltava and the brothers should have taken care about the bridge. In the 20th century, the order was persecuted by Nazism and Communism. After the Velvet Revolution, the Order's headquarters moved back into the monastery next to Prague's Charles Bridge.