Nativity Scenes in the Bethlehem Chapel: How One Lighted and Cooked Once Upon a Time
Bethlehem Chapel (Betlémská kaple), Betlémské náměstí 4, Praha 1 - Staré Město, 110 00
- 24. 11. 2017 – 2. 1. 2018
Food and light are an important part of Christmas celebration. Therefore, at the exhibition one will see not only a broad variety of nativity scenes and presentations of traditional Czech winter handicrafts; the history of cooking and the development of lighting will be here presented too.
Once, the meat was roasted on an open fire, later, it was prepared in a fire crane or a dymney parlour, a scullery and a tile stove. Different kitchen equipment and utensils were used, some of them are used also nowadays; some of them were just used for a short period of time. Further on, food and its use for foretelling will be explored. The focus will be put on gingerbread and Christmas sweets. Herbs will be put on the display too.
A broad range of nativity scenes will be exhibited. This year, the organisers would like to highlight especially the ones which have been created from different types of dough.
Further on the development of lighting will be presented–visitors will see a firelock, a tinder, a bulrush, a tinderbox, a torch, matches and a small fire place.
- presentation of how old Czech Christmas dishes were cooked – kuba (mushroom barely risotto), pučálka (pea sprouts), hubník (mushroom loaf) and more
- presentation of crafts – carvers, lacemakers, basket weavers, wire crafts, gingerbread decoration and more
- special area for children
- daily 9.00-18.00
- 24. 12. and 31. 12. 2017 - 9.00-14.00
- 25. 12. 2017 and 1. 1. 2018 - 13.00-18.00