Crossroads of Czech and Czechoslovak Statehood / Laboratory of Power
Crossroads of Czech and Czechoslovak Statehood – captures the important milestones in Czech 20th century history, which saw remarkable changes in statehood and in the ideological views of the state. The exhibition focuses on five important milestones:
- the founding of the Czechoslovak Republic in 1918
- the period of the Munich Agreement in 1938 and dissolution of Czechoslovakia in 1939
- the re-establishment of Czechoslovakia in 1945 and the communist coup d’état three years later
- the establishment of the Czechoslovak federation in 1968
- the fall of communism in 1989 and dissolution of Czecho-Slovakia in 1992
Laboratory of Power. After 1948, the National Memorial on Vítkov hill took part in the Communist cult of power. From its original purpose - that of celebrating the Czechoslovakian statehood- the Memorial has been converted to the stage scene for one of the most striking propaganda actions of its time.