Breadcrumbs navigation

St Nicholas Bell Tower (Svatomikulášská městská zvonice)

A picturesque view of the Lesser Town’s buildings and square are the reward for climbing 215 steps to the 65-metre high viewing gallery of the tower adjacent to the Baroque Church of St Nicholas. The bell tower, from 1755, which also served as a fire watchtower, was the last town crier’s tower in Prague. From the 1960s to the 1980s it served as an observation post for the State Security Service for monitoring the Western embassies located in the surrounding area.

St Nicholas Bell Tower (Svatomikulášská městská zvonice), Malostranské náměstí 29, Praha 1 - Malá Strana, 118 00
Web:, e-mail:
tel.: +420725847927

Opening hours

November – February

Whole week
10.00 – 18.00


Whole week
10.00 – 20.00

April – September

Whole week
10.00 – 22.00


Whole week
10.00 – 20.00

Show more info

Last entrance 30 minutes before the closing time.

Entrance fee


90 CZK


65 CZK


250 CZK

Permanent exhibition:


The lodgings of the Tower watchman complete with a ‘black kitchen. An important role in medieval and early modern cities was played by the municipal belfries, vantage points for keeping a watchful eye over the city, primarily in view of of frequent fires. Your visit here gets you acquainted with how the municipal workers lived, in rather unsalubrious lodgings. The modest living conditions of the municipal staff were offset by a steady, though not over-generous purse. Nevertheless, the staff turnover among Tower watchmen was high. Life up in a tower was not much appreciated in those days, especially during the cold winter, despite its impressive city views.

Admission fees in detail


Show more info


Object history

The baroque tower adjacent to St Nicholas Church was built by multiple architects, mainly Kryštof and Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer. It was completed by Anselmo Lurago according to the original plans in 1755. The tower’s height is the same as the adjacent cupola and the gallery, which is open to the public, is 65m tall and has 299 steps. The tower belonged to the community, not the church, as indicated by the Malá Strana symbol over the entrance. This is the reason its street address is 556, since churches for the most part do not have numbered addresses. The tower has a separate entrance from the square. Since 1992 till 2012 the tower had been administered by the Prague Information Service along with other city property. The Prague Information Service had the facade reconstructed in 1996 – 1997 and modified the interior in order to open it to the public.

Show history

More places