The Architecture of Prague’s New Town and the Mysterious New Jerusalem
On March 8, 1348, Charles IV issued the founding charter for the construction of a new section of the city. The founding of Prague’s New Town, whose size and the speed at which it was built are admirable even today, was carefully planned. The town, ingeniously thought out, cleverly constructed, and well fortified, surrounding a number of large marketplaces, with regular streets and wide properties for building houses, also had other ambitions. According to plans by Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV, it was supposed to be a “New Jerusalem”. He therefore ordered the construction of churches and their consecration.
The tour begins at Wenceslas Square, formerly the Horse Market, one of three central markets of the New Town. From here we set off for the Church of St Stephen, take a look at Charles Square and the New Town Hall, and then to the place where the Crown Jewels were displayed, and where the Chapel of Corpus Christi was located. We’ll proceed to the Emmaus Monastery, then to the church dedicated to the Emperor’s favorite patron, St Catherine. Next, a visit to the Church of St Apollinaris and then to Karlov, to one of the most dominant buildings in the New Town. From these historical fortifications, a beautiful view of Vyšehrad across the Botič Stream valley awaits.
Admission Fees: New Town Hall and Emmaus Monastery