No other place in Prague is as linked to the events of 28 October 1918 as the Municipal House. Indeed, from the moment the Three Kings’ Declaration issued from its Grégr Hall on 6 January 1918, expressing the self-determination demands of the Czech nation, the movement became unstoppable.
The impressive Art Nouveau building by architects Antonín Balšánek and Osvald Polívka sprang up from 1905 to 1912. In the midst of the building is the Smetana Hall, where on 13 April 1918 the writer Alois Jirásek swore the national oath of allegiance on behalf of the cultural, scientific and political public.
Its Czech Gentlemen’s Club became the meeting place of eminent Czech politicians, especially after the Czechoslovak National Committee meetings were re-established. The portraits of the five ‘28-Octobermen’ document that first Czechoslovak law was signed here, as well as appeals addressed to the new Nation.
But the prime moment for the Municipal House came at five pm on 28 October 1918, when the Grégr Hall rang out with the memorable words on the founding of Czechoslovakia.
- Municipal House (Obecní dům)
- náměstí Republiky 5
- Praha 1