Seminary Garden (Seminářská zahrada)
Originally a Carmelite monastery garden that belonged to the archbishop of the seminary in the 18th century, hence its name. Over 2000 mature fruit trees and 800 almond trees hide an early classical chapel, refectory and a monument to the writer Jan Neruda, who was born nearby. The garden is part of Petřín park, where it affords superb views of the city.
The Seminar Garden (originally called Gryspek Garden) became a monastery garden of the Carmelites at Virgin Mary of Victory in the 1st half of the 17th century. The Carmelites carved out little caves in the sandstone rocks in the uppermost part. When the monastery was abolished in 1784, the place was turned into a garden of the archiepiscopal seminar (then in Clementinum). In the years 1912 - 1914, a lot of fruit trees were planted here; the plan for the reconstruction being carried out by Svatopluk Mocker. In 1927, the garden was purchased by the Prague municipality, the enclosure walls were demolished, and it was opened for public on the 1st May 1930. There are approximately 2,100 fruit trees and 150 shrubs in the Seminar Garden. 800 almond trees were planted in the garden. One of the pear trees supposedly dates back to the time of Jan Neruda, who was born nearby in the abolished Újezd barracks. Therefore there is his bronze monument in the lower part of the garden by the cableway from 1970, made by Jan Simota. There is a bronze fountain with sculptures of little boys nearby.
There is also an early-Classicist chapel in the garden, and a clerical refectory.
The Seminar Garden forms a part of the Petřín Park, being situated in its Eastern part. It offers nice views of Prague.