Toy Museum (Muzeum hraček)
The seat of the museum is the Supreme Burgrave's House at Prague Castle. Here's you'll find an extensive exhibition of unique toys. You can enjoy traditional Czech toys, historical toys from around the world from the 18th to the 20th centuries, including the oldest Märklin model trains and accessories, model airplanes, trains and cars, and a collection of Barbie dolls. The museum also has a permanent exhibition of the filmmaker and cartoonist Ivan Steiger with wooden and tin toys.
The museum is CLOSED due to a reconstruction. The exposition was relocated to the Clam Gallas Palace.
January – December
- Whole week
- 09.30 – 17.30
The world´s second largest toy exposition including exhibits from the times of ancient Greece up to the most popular toys of the present time collected from all over the world.
The history of the "Golden Age of Toys" begins with coaches drawn by teams of tin horses, with cars and motor cycles, continuing with aircraft, airplanes, paddle-steamers and ocean-going liners and closing with toy trains, including the oldest Märklin engines, train stations and every accessory possible. Farms are populated by animals from the woods and fields, exotic wild animals are presented in a zoo and in circus rings and clockwork tin clowns bring to life a world of swings and roundabouts.
In addition, the old teddy-bears deserve a mention, several hundred Barbie dolls, tin robots, steam-engines, Schuco cars, building bricks and games, physical, optical and musical toys and many other surprises, not forgetting the most famous and most valuable tin toy clockwork wonders from France, Germany and America.
Supreme Burgrave’s House (Nejvyšší purkrabství) – Prague Castle
At the end of the Jiřská Street on the left, there is the house of the Supreme Burgrave’s Office. The object was built in 1555 for the office of the land’s supreme official - the burgrave, who substituted the king in his absence and ruled the country in that time. It was used as execution ground, too; for example Dalibor was executed in the courtyard. Jan of Lobkowicz had the premises built after the Castle fire by a Wallachian builder Giovanni Ventura, who modernised the old object in a Renaissance style with preserved Romanic tower, and modified the facade with sgraffiti. In the 90s, more modifications were carried out by Oldřich Aostalis. There is preserved original decoration in the burgrave court room from the 16th century, namely the painted wooden ceiling and frescoes. Baroque entrance gate leading into the courtyard is decorated by four plastic coats of arms of the supreme burgraves. (Adam of Valdštejn, Jaroslav Bořita of Martinice, Jan Josef of Vrtba, Karel Egon of Fürstenberk)
In the 1960s, the object was modified again and the House of the Czechoslovak Children was created while pulling down several parts. At present, the premises host the Toy Museum.
Since 1994, Summer Shakespeare Festivals are held in the Burgraviate premises - staging William Shakespeare’s plays. These festivals were founded thanks to the initiative of the former president Václav Havel, who appealed to the artists to liven up Prague Castle and bring the general public into the premises. The first play to be staged here was the comedy Midsummer Night’s Dream.
As a part of the area, there is a quadrangular tower named Black Tower, yet at the time of Charles IV called Golden Tower, as its roof was clad with richly gold-plated steel boards. The tower was built as a part of the Romanic castle fortifications. In the 16th century, the tower’s upper parts were used as a prison for debtors. During the fire on the 2nd June 1541, it became black due to smoke, and since then it has been called the Black Tower.
Prague Castle has been a National Cultural Monument since 1962.