Breadcrumbs navigation

National Gallery in Prague – Salm Palace (Salmovský palác)

The Salm Palace is a large Classicist palace building on Hradčanské Square. After an extensive renovation, it reopened as an exhibition space where the National Gallery has prepared a new permanent exhibition of the 19th century art from neo-Classicism to Romanticism. The rooms on the ground floor have been designated for the use of temporary exhibition projects.

National Gallery in Prague – Salm Palace (Salmovský palác), Hradčanské náměstí 1, Praha 1 - Hradčany, 110 00
Web:, e-mail:
tel.: +420233081713

Opening hours

January – December

10.00 – 18.00
10.00 – 18.00
10.00 – 18.00
10.00 – 18.00
10.00 – 18.00
10.00 – 18.00

Show more info


The National Gallery in Prague opens its permanent exhibitions for children and youth under 18 and students under 26 years of age completely for free. For temporary exhibitions the usual admission fee applies.


  • May 14 – 15 Open House Praha 2016 – free admission to all permanent exhibitions and usually inaccessible spaces – 10.00-18.00
  • May 18 International Museum Day – free admission to all expositions – 10.00-21.00
  • June 11 Prague Museum Night – free admission to all expositions – 19.00-01.00


Entrance fee


300 CZK


150 CZK


Permanent exhibitions of old masters and of modern and contemporary art can be seen for 300 CZK (full price) or 150 CZK (reduced price). The ticket is valid for seven days and you can visit all buildings of the National Gallery.

Show more info


Object history

Salmovský Palace (Small Schwarzenberg Palace)

A three-wing building of a palace type was built as a Classicist new building with visible influence of the Empire style via a radical reconstruction of older residences within the years 1800 - 1811.

These residences were namely the Renaissance palace of Pavel Sixt Trautsohn and the Lords of Šternberk, which were joined together by František Matyáš Karel of Šternberk before 1648 and after him Václav Count Paar. In 1770, both houses were purchased by JUDr. Josef Bretfeld, and in 1795, he conveyed them onto the Prague Archbishop Vilém Florentin, Prince Salm-Salm. He had both the houses rebuilt in the years 1810 - 11 and built a palace according to a project of his architect František Pavíček (Pawitschek).

However, the Archbishop died in the meantime, and five years later, the palace was acquired by Josef, Count Schwarzenberg, and he added it as a residential complement to his neighbouring large Renaissance palace. Later on, the palace was used by the Krumlov primogeniture of the Schwarzenbergs as their Prague residence until 1945.

After the war, it was nationalized and used for foreign services.

Since 2003, it has been under the administration of the National Gallery. An extensive reconstruction took place in the years 2008 - 2012. The palace has a small pre-yard in a French style (cour d’honneur), closed from the square only via a mighty trellis with a trellis gate.

Show history

More places