Breadcrumbs navigation

Prague Castle – Prague Castle Riding School (Jízdárna Pražského hradu)

The Baroque facade of the riding hall from the end of the 17th century forms nearly the entire side of U Prašného mostu Street which leads from Prague Castle across the Stag Moat. Since the mid-20th century, the Riding School has been an exhibition venue. The area around the Hall features a newly landscaped garden, offering new and unusual views of St Vitus Cathedral and part of the Castle's northern fortifications.

Prague Castle – Prague Castle Riding School (Jízdárna Pražského hradu), U Prašného mostu 3, Praha 1 - Hradčany, 119 08
Web: http://www.kulturanahrade.cz, e-mail: info@hrad.cz
tel.: +420224372434, +420224372415

Object history

Prague Castle Riding Hall

In the U Prašného mostu Street leading towards the Castle’s Northern gate, there is a Riding Hall, built at the end of the 17th century in a Baroque style (by Jean Baptiste Mathey). The entrance facade is decorated by stucco reliefs of jumping horses, weapons and busts of a Turk and a blackamoor. The relief of an imperial eagle was removed after 1918. Large windows lead to the riding hall’s terrace laid out in a garden-like style. The terrace is located on the roof of the garages in the place where the summer riding hall used to be originally. The Riding Hall was adapted to exhibition grounds in the years 1948 - 1949, according to a project of architect Pavel Janák.

Prague Castle has been a National Cultural Monument since 1962.

 

Show history

More places