Baroque river festivities under the Charles Bridge to celebrate the anniversary of canonization of Czech patron St John of Nepomuk, the patron of all people from water.
Since then the celebrations have taken place each year and they have a firm scenario – mass in the St Vitus Cathedral, festive procession from the cathedral across the Charles Bridge and a baroque concert on the river, the celebrations end with a firework.
Monday 14. 5.
- 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm Venetian afternoon at the Hergetova Cihelna
- 6:00 pm Holly Mass in the St. Francis of Assisi Church
Monday 15. 5.
- 6:00 pm Holly Mass in the St. Vitus Cathedral
- 7:15 pm St. John’s Procession to the Charles Bridge
- 8:30 pm River Regatta, Skydiving and Swimmers in the Vltava River, Charles Bridge
- 8:45 pm Religious Service in the St. Francis of Assisi Church, Křižovnické square
- 9:10 pm Concert on the Vltava River under the Charles Bridge
- 10:15 pm Baroque Fireworks
The feast takes place always on the eve of the St John’s day – 15th May. During the Baroque period this feast was one of the biggest and most opulent celebrations. Pilgrims from all over the country came to Prague to honour the memory of St John of Nepomuk, but also to listen to the music that was produced on the water level of the river Vltava, to see the firework and other kinds of attractions. The tradition of the Baroque feast was renewed in 2009.