Church of St John of Nepomuk (Kostel sv. Jana Nepomuckého)
This church is the first independent work by Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer. It was consecrated in 1729, shortly after the canonisation of John of Nepomuk. Ceiling vaults, containing magnificent frescoes painted by V. V. Reiner and depicting episodes from the saint's life, arch over the octagonal nave. The church provides pastoral care for the Czech military, and is a place to pray for fallen soldiers and world peace.
Masses for fallen soldiers and world peace:
- Th 13:30 (except July, August)
Tours by appointment only.
Baroque architect Kilian Ignaz Dienzenhofer's first church is the High Baroque Church of St John of Nepomuk in the Prague Castle district.
The original plans were drafted by Christoph Dientzenhofer, and after his death his son Kilian Ignaz continued with the project. The church was built for the neighbouring Ursuline Convent in Hradčany.
Construction was carried out from 1720 till 1729. It did not serve the convent's needs for long, though, as Emperor Joseph II closed the church in 1784. The church was added to the military's coffers and even served as a salt warehouse for some time. In 1861 its religious function was renewed and served the garrison in Prague. Except for a several year interruption, it has since provided military pastoral care. The church was made open to the public on 1 May 2002.
The statues decorating the façade are from the workshop of Baroque sculptor Matthias Wenzel Jäckel; a clock tower completes the building. Inside, vaults featuring Wenzel Lorenz Reiner's beautiful frescoes depicting scenes from the life of St John of Nepomuk from 1727 magnificently arch over the octagonal nave. The Baroque main altar is decorated with paintings by Johann Christoph Lischka and carvings from the workshop of Matthias Wenzel Jäckel.
The church belongs to the Roman Catholic Church.
Information source: www.kaplani.army.cz