Prague Castle - Chapel of the Holy Cross (Kaple sv. Kříže)
The Chapel of the Holy Cross in the second courtyard of the Prague Castle was also called the "Treasury", because, in the early 1960s, it was converted into an exhibition space for the most valuable items that had been collected for the treasury of the Cathedral of St Vitus, St Wenceslas and St Adalbert since the 11th century. The chapel's decoration, dating back to the second half of the 18th century, is dominated by a life-sized altar painting of Christ on the cross, painted in 1762 by František A. Palko.
- November – March
- Whole week
- 10.00 – 17.00
- April – October
- Whole week
- 10.00 – 18.00
- basic 250 CZK
- reduced 125 CZK
- family 500 CZK
PERMANENT EXHIBITION: The Treasure of St Vitus Cathedral
- extraordinary display of masterpieces amassed from the 11th century for the St Vitus Church and Cathedral treasury. The largest church treasury in the Czech lands features the finest masterpieces from this collection that traces its beginnings to 1069. Visitors can admire 139 objects of immense historical, artistic and spiritual value, comprising sumptuously decorated reliquaries, monstrances and other liturgical vessels, and richly embroidered vestments. Most of the pieces are made of gilt silver or pure gold.
The artefacts on view offer a survey of outstanding craftsmanship over the past ten centuries: visitors will see innumerable examples of the art of goldsmithing, abounding in precious metals and stones, such as diamonds, pearls, sapphires and rock crystal. Genuine pearls adorn many of the embroidered textiles on view.
Part of the Prague Castle circuit C. Admission fees in detail here.
It rises into the second castle courtyard at the middle wing. It was built by the architect Anselmo Lurago according to Pacassi’s project in the years 1758 - 1763, during the Theresian reconstruction, and it was re-built in a Classicist style in the middle of the 19th century. It is decorated by statues of St. Peter and Paul by Emanuel Max from 1854, and further on by wall paintings of Josef Navrátil and Vilém Kandler from the 1850s with themes from the Old and the New Testament. There are statues of angels made by Ignac Frantisek Platzer on the main marble altar made by Josef Lauermann, and a large painting named Crucified made by František Xaver Balko. Also the side altars are decorated by his paintings: St. Vitus, St. Václav, St. Theresa, and St. Francis. By the entrance, there is a marble statue of St. John of Nepomuk made by Emanuel Max.
The Holy Cross Chapel is also called the Treasury, because in the early 1960s, it was adapted to hold the exhibition of the most precious relics from the St. Vitus Treasury, which was on display here from 1961 to 1990. This fixed exhibition has been open to public again on the 16th December 2011, for a period of 10 years, until 2021.
Prague Castle has been a National Cultural Monument since 1962.
Information source: www.hrad.cz