Church of St Ludmila (Kostel sv. Ludmily)
The neo-Gothic Church of St Ludmila is one of the dominant features of the Vinohrady district. It was built according to designs by Josef Mocker from 1888 to 1892. Two 60 m towers, each with two bells, are like two hands clasped in prayer. The church is a brick three-aisled basilica with a transept in the shape of a cross. Its interior is lit by stained glass windows depicting figures of saints, and it is richly decorated with sculptures and paintings.
REGULAR ROMAN CATHOLIC MASSES:
- Mo - Sa 16.30
- Su 9.00, 11.00 (except July, August), 16.30
Tours by tel. appointment only or 30 minutes before and after the mass.
The Church of St Ludmila, a Brick Gothic Revival church that dominates the Prague skyline, is a three-aisle basilica with a transept and two tall steeples rising up on the front façade. The church was built according to a design by architect Joseph Mocker in 1888 – 1892. After it was completed, the Archbishop of Prague, Cardinal Franziskus Schönborn consecrated the church and a ceremony was held as the remains of St Ludmila and St Wenceslaus were brought to the church. Each of the 60 metre steeples contains two bells. The tall entrance stairway leads to the main portal. The tympanum shows a high relief of Christ with Saints Wenceslaus and Ludmila created by Josef Václav Myslbek with emblems of the evangelists by Jan Čapek. Statues of the Bohemian patrons, St Ludmila, Cyril and Methodius, St Procopius and St Adalbert, are in the gables of the nave and side aisles. The interior of the church offers breathtakingly colourful frescoes, stained-glass windows and rich subject matter.
The church belongs to the Roman Catholic Church.
Information source: www.ludmilavinohrady.cz/