Breadcrumbs navigation

Jewish Museum in Prague – Spanish Synagogue (Židovské muzeum – Španělská synagoga)

On the site of the oldest Prague Jewish house of prayer called the "Old School", the Spanish synagogue was built in 1868 in Moorish style by Vojtěch Ignác Ullmann and Josef Niklas. From 1836 to 1845 František Škroup, composer of the Czech national anthem, worked as the organist at the Old School.

Until May 31, 2019 you can visit the Spanish Synagogue and The History of the Jews in Bohemia and Moravia in 19th and 20th century. Then, the monument will be repaired and partially restored; it will be opened in the late of autumn 2020. Visitors can look forward to a new exhibition with interactive features and modern visitors’ facilities.

  • Monuments & Architecture
  • synagogue/Jewish heritage
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • museum
  • wheelchair access

Opening hours

    • November – March
    • Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sun
    • 09.00 – 16.30
    • April – October
    • Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sun
    • 09.00 – 18.00

Closed on Saturdays and Jewish holidays.

More

 

Practical information

The extensive collection of Judaica, including 40,000 artefacts, 100,000 books, and extensive archives of Jewish communities, is unique not only for its size, but especially the fact that they come from one coherent territory - from Bohemia and Moravia. As a whole, it gives a complete picture of the life and history of Jews in this region. The museum is housed in Prague's synagogues and other Jewish monuments.


JEWISH MUSEUM SITES IN PRAGUE:

Robert Guttmann Gallery

  • short exhibitions focusing on Jewish history, life, art and also Jewish monuments in the Czech Republic

 

Klausen Synagogue

  • the biggest synagogue in Prague, permanent exhibition: Jewish Customs and Traditions 

Maisel Synagogue

  • permanent exhibition: Jews in the Bohemian Lands, 10th – 18th Century

 

Ceremonial Hall

  • exhibition devoted to Jewish medicine and Prague Burial Society

 

Pinkas Synagogue

  • Memorial to the Bohemian and Moravian Victims of Shoah; permanent exhibition: Children´s Drawings from the Terezin Ghetto

 

Spanish Synagogue

  • Synagogue Silver from Bohemia and Moravia
  • History of the Jews in Bohemia and Moravia in the 19th – 20th Century
  • venue for concerts (classical music)

 

Old Jewish Cemetery

  • it was founded in the 15th century, several renowned personalities were buried here (Rabbi Loew, Avigdor Kara, Aaron Horowitz, Mordecai Maisel, David Gans, Rabbi David Oppenheim)

  

Most of the sites are included in some of the museum tours; one cannot visit them separately.

 

P R A G U E   J E W I S H   T O W N

incl.: Maisel Synagogue, Pinkas Synagogue, Klausen Synagogue, Spanish Synagogue, Old Jewish Cemetery, Ceremonial Hall, Robert Guttmann Gallery, Old New Synagogue

  • Adults: CZK 500
  • Children 6-15, students under 26: CZK 350
  • Disability card holders accompanied by a helper: CZK 85
  • Children under 6: free
  • Family ticket (2 adults and up to 4 children) – adults: CZK 500, every child (6-15): CZK 160

 

J E W I S H   M U S E U M   I N   P R A G U E

incl.: Maisel Synagogue, Pinkas Synagogue, Klausen Synagogue, Spanish Synagogue, Old Jewish Cemetery, Ceremonial Hall, Robert Guttmann Gallery

  • Adults: CZK 350
  • Children 6-15, students under 26: CZK 250
  • Disability card holders accompanied by a helper: CZK 50
  • Children under 6: free
  • Family ticket (2 adults and up to 4 children) – adults: CZK 350, every child (6-15): CZK 100

 

O L D   N E W   S Y N A G O G U E

The synagogue is overseen by the Prague Jewish Community.

  • Adults: CZK 200
  • Children 6-15, students under 26: CZK 140
  • Disability card holders accompanied by a helper: CZK 35
  • Children under 6: free
  • Family ticket (2 adults and up to 4 children) – adults: CZK 200, every child (6-15): CZK 100

 

R O B E R T   G U T T M A N N   G A L L E R Y

  • Adults: CZK 50
  • Children 6-15, students under 26: CZK 30
  • Children under 6: free

 

Tickets are valid for 7 days. Each site can be visited once.

More information

 

 

Show practical information

Contacts

  • Jewish Museum in Prague – Spanish Synagogue (Židovské muzeum – Španělská synagoga)
  • Dušní 12
  • 110 00 Praha 1- Josefov
  • +420222749211

Programme

Object history

Spanish Synagogue

It was built in 1867 - 1868 on the corner of the Dušní and Vězeňská Streets in a Moorish style according to a project of Ignatz Ullmann and Josef Niklas in place of the oldest synagogue called Old School (Stará škola) or also Templ, which, according to the preserved reports, already existed in the 12th century. Synagogues originally served as schools for general education of both the youth and the adult members of the Jewish community. When Isabella of Castile expelled the Jews from Spain at the end of the 15th century, one of their groups found home in Prague. They were given this Old School as the house of prayers, and since then the building has also been called the Spanish Synagogue. When the old building failed to be sufficient in capacity, a new building was erected, very well equipped on a technical side for the time. There was central heating and special attention was paid to good acoustics, because choir music and singing was practised here on a very high level, to be documented by a fact that František Škroup, the author of music to our national anthem, was the choir leader here after 1836.

The construction was managed by Quido Bělský. A new-Renaissance building with a square ground plan has a mighty dome above the central premises. Remarkable and spectacular interior decorations imitating Spanish interiors in Alhambra were designed by architects Antonín Baum and Bedřich Münzberger. In a spirit of religious traditions, the interior decorations are only ornamental; the surface is covered by low stucco arabesque of stylized geometrical and vegetative motives inspired by Islamic architecture with rich gold coating and polychromy, repeated also in the arts-and-crafts accessories. There are rich colourful stained-glass windows in the building. In 1935, architect Karel Pecánek added a modern object named Winter Synagogue.

The synagogue ceased to be used for divine services in 1941. In 1955 it was transferred onto the Jewish Museum, in 1958 - 1959 the interiors were restored according to a project of architect Otto Rothmayer, and in 1960 an exposition of synagogue textiles was installed here. In 1979, the building had to be closed due to emergency condition. The reconstruction was carried out in 1995 - 98, after long periods of postponing, according to a project of architect Petr Běťák. The exterior skin was repaired, as well as technical mains, but the restoration namely concerned the interior: stucco and wall painting decorations, gold plating, stained-glass windows, organ, blacksmith, straining and joinery elements, stone and textiles.

The permanent exposition of the Jewish Museum in the main aisle and on the synagogue’s gallery named History of the Jews from emancipation to present is a continuation of the exposition in Maisel Synagogue named History of the Jews in Bohemia and Moravia from the early settlements until the start of emancipation (10th century until the 18th century).

Spanish Synagogue was opened for public on the 26th November 1998.

 

Show history

More places

Information source: Židovské muzeum v Praze